Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Week 16 appointment

Today was my week 16 appointment with the doctor. Boy was it quick! We listened to the heartbeat, it was 147 beats per minute. The doctor jokingly said it was a boy, but then followed it up with, "That's an old wives tale, and if we could really tell by the heartbeat than I'd be on Oprah tomorrow." He asked if I wanted to take the blood test that possibly detects Downs and other issues. I decided against it because it has a 5% chance of inaccuracy and quite frankly, I'd be the 5% and then freak out the rest of my pregnancy. Obviously we are keeping the baby and if there are major problems then we'll see those at the 20 or 36 week ultrasounds.

At my first appointment the doctor told me he would schedule my c-section at my 20 week appointment. I asked today if this was still the plan and he said most likely yes. He said unless there are any problems, I will have a c-section either December 8, 9 or 10. I explained that the 9th was not my first choice because that is Anthony's bday and he feels that the baby shouldn't have to share his birthday. I disagree with that, I think it's cool but if he feels that way than it's fine. So the doctor said he understood and he penciled me in for December 10th, which is the day I want, woo hoo!!! Of course this could change at any minute but it's just nice to see it in the computer. Sydney and baby will be 3 years, 3 months and 3 days apart, and baby will be born the day after daddy. My brother and I were born 13 months and 13 days apart, and my birthday is the day after my dads birthday. Anthony and his sister are 4 years and 4 days apart...okay, so you get my drift. I like how the numbers add up obviously.

After my appointment I bought my first pair of maternity pants because mine are getting a smidge uncomfortable. I also treated myself to some Jamba Juice because what I love more than anything right now is fruit. I can't get enough. That's about it, 16 weeks tomorrow!

No comments: